Sunday, August 26, 2012

Daddy is way more fun!

This last Saturday was a service day in Columbus to kick of the Columbus Bicentennial celebration.  Devin and I sign up for a blood drive and Devin also went to clear honeysuckle from a section of the Olentangy river.  I got sent home from the blood drive for low iron :(  But Devin worked so hard then came home, showered and went to give blood.  Needless to say he was a little exhausted.  So when I asked him to go and sit downstairs to play with the girls, I thought he would just relax while I got some things cleaned.  

I started hearing him say funny phrases, like "Grandpa's bringing home the bacon!" and "Woman, where's my dinner?" Just loud enough for me to hear, then quickly changed to, "Honey, I'm home. Is there anything I can do to help?" (he likes to say thing to get a reaction out of me).  So I snuck downstairs to see what was going on.     
These two were playing with the dollhouse.  I got down just in time to see brother go for his skateboard ride.  But then dad fell and severely injured his leg.  Grandpa rushed him to the surgical table.  

(Don't worry.  Dad signed a permission slip waving his HIPAA rights.  He knows I'm posting this.)  

The surgery was a success!  And Katelyn now knows who is the better parent to play dolls with.  When I play with her, her dolls go to dance class, shopping, church and then they come home for a nice family dinner.  Dad takes them skydiving, sets up a golf course and then everyone ends up on the surgical table at the end of a hard day.  

And through it all, Elyse just sat on the chair dancing and saying cheese because she new my camera was out.  



(notice mom is now on the table in the background.)

Devin is such a great dad.  I love how he pretends with the girls and gets down on their level.  Katelyn thinks he is quite the companion.  She even likes him as a hairdresser.  Tonight, I was taking out Katelyn's 2 french braids and Devin asked her if they itched her head. 
 "They kind of hurt," she said.  
Devin said, "Wouldn't you rather that dad did your hair?"  
"Yes, ONE PONY!  Woohoo!"
I chimed in, "But your braids are so pretty. Don't you like your braids?"
"Well," she reluctantly replied, "  I like braids, but I like them to be... easier."  I could tell she didn't want to hurt my feelings.  It was very sweet.  But I don't think Devin wants hair duty.  One day every once in a while is good enough for him!

2 comments:

  1. Heidi! What a fun post. That is a fun way of playing house. Elyse is getting BIG and talking quite a bit. I loved you videos. And love you guys. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! That's so fun! I love Elyse's little voice saying "cheese".

    ReplyDelete