In May of 2010, I got a virus in my left eye. It was terrible. But the worst part was that after the infection was gone, my eye was weepy. It is a pretty constant thing. My make-up always runs and it is just annoying. So I went to OSU ophthalmology to see about getting it fixed. They said that it was a quick fix to go in and remove the scar tissue caused by the anti-viral drops. So I signed up and scheduled surgery.
The surgery was yesterday. And my eye is still weeping. There was too much scar tissue and it was too far down in the duct system to solve the problem. It was a little disappointing. We are so grateful for our good friends and family for checking on us and making sure our kids were watched after and that we were fed. But I do have some funny experiences from the day.
As the were putting me under, they gave me the medicine in my IV. Before I was out, the doctor came in and asked if I was ready. Someone responded that I was sleepy, but not asleep yet. So the doctor said, "Just give her a little whiskey. That will put her out." I quickly opened my eyes and responded, "No whiskey for me! I'm a Mormon. I don't drink!" He was joking of course, but in my drugged state, I felt like I needed to make it clear that I didn't want any whiskey!
Another thing that is funny now....Before the surgery, the doctor marked which eye he was going to work on with his initials. Stephen E. Katz---his initials are SEK. When Devin came in to see me in recovery, he walked in and looked me, and looked at me. He finally said, "Heidi, why do you have sex written on your forehead?" I didn't know. I thought the doctor had just put a star above my left eye. Then Devin told me that the surgery wasn't successful. (After I woke up from surgery and was still out of it, the surgeon had told me, but I didn't remember.) I was so sad. The nurse came in to see what was the matter with me. Devin explained, then asked in a very different voice, "But what I want to know is why my wife has sex written on her forehead?" We soon got an explanation that it was S-E-K, not S-E-X. Devin breathed a little bit, then we came home. What a day!
I am so sad to hear about your weepy eye!! Boo! Those are some funny stories! :)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry the surgery didn't go over well. I know that must be so disappointing! Glad to hear you are doing well though!
ReplyDeleteUgh. Sorry that they weren't able to fix it. Those are funny stories though.
ReplyDeleteFunny! But I'm so sorry the surgery wasn't successful. That's a total bummer. So sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry the surgery wasn't successful. :( But I am glad the mixup on what was written on your face was resolved. :)
ReplyDelete